Sometimes the practice of a mind body exercise elicits humor. I particuarly find myself laughing in hatha yoga classes.
Take last week when Rebecca was teaching a hatha beginners class. We were doing a pose called cat/cow, and she wanted us to loosen up our hips. Her instruction was
"imagine you have a great big dinosaur tail behind you" she continued to say "now wag your tail back and forth, but not fast, smoothly, remember it is a dinoaur tail"
I started guffawing. The thought of everyone in that class having a dinosaur tail. I saw great big brontosaurus tails sticking out. Then my mind went through a series of images:
- women worrying that their dinosaur tails were too big
- J Lo and Beyonce got some good dinosaur tails
- It would be so nice to have a dinosaur tail when standing, you could sit back on it.
- it would be really cool in sparring and wrestling adding a whole new limb to your body
- Let's see, in downward dog it would point out at a 45 degree angle, in half moon it would go straight up, in tree it would wrap arount you, full wheel would be interesting
It just went on and on. In fact, I walked around the rest of the day with a big dinosaur tail.